Friday 26 July 2013

Storied

It is imperative that young mages explore the world to test their might. One can study and practice all they like, but without experience, they will not have the fortitude for real conflict. It is a practice which the Seabreaker Kings have never really understood, but I appreciate King Sinal’s consent to the exercise. Grazian mages almost never quest beyond the borders of their realm. Little wonder then that the Heart of Fortune has never produced a true High Mage.

You find it chilly in here? My apologies. In my old age I often forget myself. It is so much easier to allow my ice to flow than it is to constrain it. It is time, I think, for younger hands to hold Grazia’s magical reigns. Sinal’s coming demise is a sign of that. I’ll not abandon the city, but it is best of Ignatius finds himself a new High Mage. If nothing else, it is best for a young king to establish his own administration. I’ll assist with the change, but I’m certain the realm will be in good hands with Ignatius.

Been talking with Dim, have you? He’s always too eager to show what he knows. Perhaps I’d be the same if I had his intellect. Yes, Patient Sail is an adept, though it is impolite to speak about someone in these matters. Better to speak with the young man himself, though the trick in that may be catching him! He is ever off to some new excitement.

I spoke with his father about his talents once. I thought the boy might benefit from training with the mage corps. But I was told that such things were not for the Royal Family, and that his education was well in hand. That the child is not already a hero of the city leaves me wondering if his abilities are not being wasted. Still, I suppose there is some plan at work for him. As high-born as he is, he’ll never escape the machinations of politics.

But still, just imagine the quest that boy might undertake, the story his life might make. It could be glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment