Wednesday 17 July 2013

Intelligence

I don’t know why you keep going on about Patient Sail, Tara. He’s so silly and immature! Not at all like his cousin. Not only is Ignatius smart and strong and, well, beautiful, but he’s going to be king!

Well, yes I know that Sail is part of the royal family too, but that’s as far as it will go, won’t it? I mean, Ignatius will be crowned any day, and who could possibly doubt that his rule will last at least a hundred years? All the empire will benefit from his grace and kindness, I’m certain of that.

Tara! You can’t say such things about the Crowned Prince! He’s so regal and debonair; how could possibly imagine such a debauched thing? No, I’m not imagining that at all! Have you been sneaking down the Fiddler’s Den? Where could you possibly pick up such atrocious notions? Your father must be so embarrassed by you! What do your maidens think?

You might be able to be glib about such an unromantic version of a man and a woman, but I hold myself to a higher standard. A nobler one.

And what would be wrong with that? I mean, certainly Ignatius will be presented with many would-be brides. He’ll have to consolidate his political alliances, to say nothing of the heir he must have as king. He’ll have to choose a wife. Why not a lady of house Hassot? We are high born, well-bred and raised, with the sort of worldview one needs to lead effectively.


I guess you’re right. Very well, you can have your affections for that addle-minded cousin of Ignatius’. Means one less bitch I’ll have to step over on my way to becoming queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment